[AUUG-Talk]: Attention auug.org.au administrators

David Newall david at davidnewall.com
Sun Dec 23 19:02:14 EST 2007

Greg Black wrote:
> On 2007-12-23, David Newall wrote:
>
>> Christopher Vance wrote:

>>> Is it worth first upgrading the machine to a more recent version of
>>> the OS?  4.X is ancient.
>>>
>> Is there any need to upgrade it?
>>

> If it's ancient and if it faces the outside world, I'd say the answer
> would be a clear "yes".

Okay, let me ask the question I really meant: Why does it need to be
upgraded?  Being ancient is not a reason.  The Dalai Lama is arguably
ancient, but he doesn't need upgrading.  (Eventually he'll be dead, and
then he will need, and obtain, an upgrade.)

Remember that the machine does AUUG's mailing lists, too, and possibly
more.  I'm not postmaster, and I don't want to rip the rug out of every
application for no better reason than that it's ancient.