[AUUG-Talk]: Re: Don't close AUUG down!

George Michaelson ggm at pobox.com
Tue Dec 18 13:18:07 EST 2007

Like Peter (and doubtless others), I valued AUUG for what it was, when
UNIX was something that required a support network as a basic survival
tool. Now, with UNIX-is-the-mainstream, there are other channels for that
role, and I would also (again like Peter) value AUUG for its social net
status, and opportunity to renew, and make new acquaintances in a UNIX
context.

I have no desire to vote on this, so if you will tolerate a non-financial
ex-member commenting, I've had my shout from the peanut gallery.

I would also like to echo calls for any funds that exist and have to be
disbursed, to be disbursed to the John Lions Chair, or associated
activity.

This model of community benefit, and the kind of social capital building
it creates is hugely important. It very much honours the spirit of anyone
like John who believed in education, and UNIX, and acted on those beliefs.

Many other funding sources address software outcomes directly. There are
precious few opportunities to put community funds back into education as
a long term investment in society.

cheers

-George