[AUUG-Talk]: Re: Don't close AUUG down!

David Newall david.newall at auug.org.au
Tue Dec 11 12:25:41 EST 2007

Adrian Close wrote:
> On Tue, 11 Dec 2007, David Newall wrote:
>
>> Are you sure?  Apparently it was on the Agenda for the 2005 AGM,
>> however such a change would have required a (postal) ballot.  Did
>> that occur?
>
> As far as I recall, those changes were voted on and accepted.

(34. Changes to these Rules may be initiated at the request of a General
meeting, or by the Management Committee. All proposed changes must be
approved by a three-quarters majority of the votes received in a postal
ballot of the members before having effect.)

That being so, a few other changes must have been accepted in the same
ballot, two of which are important:

New class of membership: Associate Members; and

Allow Electronic Voting.

No fee seems to have been set for Associate members, but they are, as I
read the constitution, permitted to become board members.

More important: Postal ballots, which are expensive, can be replaced by
electronic ballots.