[AUUG-Talk]: Issues of AUUGN from Vol 1 No 1 onwards available

Norberto Meijome numard at meijome.net
Fri Sep 29 00:09:30 EST 2006

On Thu, 28 Sep 2006 21:32:34 +1000 (EST)
Dave Horsfall <dave at horsfall.org> wrote:

> Whilst looking for a recent AUUGN (see thread about membership renewal
> if you're terminally curious/bored) mine eyes espied a pile of old AUUGNs,
> from Vol 1 No 1 (October 1978) to Vol 3 No 6 (Aug/Sep 1981).  And I know I
> have the rest of them somewhere, but they're probably packed away.

[...]
> Free to an *organisation* that can use them, on condition they never get
> chucked out and are available for viewing (even if as a PDF).  I'll make
> this offer to the TUHS/PUPS people as well.

Dave,
I think that the idea of giving the originals to the national library is great
- but for the purposes of having more eyeballs on them, I think it would be
best to scan them (unless anyone still has soft copies..? ), make them into
PDFs and make them available online. Even better, if the authors have no
issues, attach a CC license to them.

A hell of a job, i know... but if it's there's  interesting material in them...

btw, being a newbie to AUUG i would like to know how many pages are in each
issue (avg) of AUUGN...

something that could be done to avoid having to scan a huge number of the
issues is to provide an online index of all the articles  available, and then
allow interested parties to request which articles would like to have scanned
first (so instead of providing PDFs for full issues, you provide scans of
cool stuff).

I'd be glad to help with this... the excuse of lack of time has been running a
bit repetitive lately  ;)

Best,
{Beto|Norberto|Numard} Meijome

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex...
 It takes a touch of genius - and a lot of courage to move in the opposite
direction." Albert Einstein

Warned.