[AUUG-Talk]: Re: AUUG: Time to pull the plug?

Greg Black gjb at auug.org.au
Sun Sep 17 18:19:20 EST 2006

On 2006-09-17, David Newall wrote:
> David Purdue wrote:
>> To say "we have become the Linux community" leaves me (and many
>> AUUG members) disenfranchised.
>
> No it doesn't.  The Linux community doesn't, at least in my experience,
> reject UNIX, any more than the UNIX community rejects Linux.  Don't be
> precious about a name.

To describe somebody with a legitimate concern, expressed in a
completely fair manner, as "precious" seems to me to be lacking
in the level of courtesy we should hope for.  Surely we can do
without name calling and just confine ourselves to finding the
best way forwards?

As far as I can see, the board has put together a very promising
conference.  For now, promoting that event and ensuring it runs
as well as possible would seem to be the best approach.  Then,
at the AGM that is scheduled for the conference, some proposals
for the future can be discussed and plans made.

And, for what it's worth, I share the view that we (the members
of AUUG) are not automatically part of the Linux community,
whether or not they would welcome us.  I have no quarrel with
the Linux community and share many thing with them -- but I'm
not part of that community.

Greg