[AUUG-Talk]: Re: AUUG: Time to pull the plug?

George W Gerrity g.gerrity at gwg-associates.com.au
Thu Sep 14 14:52:04 EST 2006

Hi, Greg!

I have tried to be a member of AUUG since its beginning, many years
ago. I haven't been a very good member, especially since I retired,
while my wife continues to work. Obligations that fall from that make
it difficult for me to attend conferences. Moreover, I have always
had significant other interests (like lecturing and research) that
tend to make my participation in AUUG minimal: although I was one of
the guys that got UNIX into Australia in the early days (I think that
RMC, Duntroon was the third UNIX system after Sydney and Melbourne),
my responsibilities as co-opted sysop ended as soon as we got some
good permanent staff.

In the past three or four years, it has been difficult to know
whether or not my membership was up to date, as notices were
sporadic, and membership receipts non-existent. I usually had to go
back through payment records to find out, and the impetus was usually
doing my income tax. For the past two years, I have received no AAUGN
magazines, yet I do seem to be still on the emailing list.

I would like to see AUUG continue, but most of us originally
associated (however loosely) with AUUG are either now retired or
getting close to it. Younger people need to take up the job, and as
you have noted, things appear to be in chaos. Maybe it has to be
wound up.

George
------
Dr George W Gerrity    Ph:  +61 2 6386 3431
GWG Associates         Fax: +61 2 6386 4431
P O Box 229            PGP RSA Public Key Fingerprint:
Harden, NSW 2587       73EF 318A DFF5 EB8A 6810 49AC 0763 AF07
------