[AUUG-Talk]: RE: AUUG: Time to pull the plug?

Rowling, Jill Rowling at ali.com.au
Thu Sep 14 17:02:02 EST 2006

Hi Greg (and others)

Hmm, I think this year has been the quietest for AUUG ever, and I can
see why pulling the plug may come to mind.
Possibilities: Join with Linux Australia - I'm not really in favour of
that, as it's just one kernel. There are others that still exist (open
Solaris for example, MacOSX, etc).
SAGE-AU also exists, there are some touch points, but covers more OS's
(Windows) and mainly the administration side.

The idea about the John Lions Chair is very appealing, as UNSW computer
science is (for me at least) where it all started, and John Lions was
definitely one of the leading academics in CS at UNSW when I first
started with Unix there (albeit in the Engineering Dept).

But definitely the other questions need to be answered first.

Cheers,

Jill.
--
Jill Rowling, System Administrator
Eng. Systems Dept, Aristocrat Technologies Australia