[AUUG-Talk]: Re: AUUG: Time to pull the plug?

Grant Parnell - EverythingLinux grant at elx.com.au
Thu Sep 14 13:58:46 EST 2006

On Thu, 14 Sep 2006, Greg 'groggy' Lehey wrote:

> My questions at the moment:
>
> - Do enough members think that it's time to dissolve AUUG?
I do.

> - How many members do we have?
I think I'm a corporate member under EverythingLinux

> - How do we know who the members are?  At this stage, I'd say that the
>  only proof is a receipt for payment of membership fees.
Last invoice in our system is April 12, 2005 for $240each.

> - If we dissolve AUUG, what do we do with the funds?  I can see a
>  number of possibilities:
>  - AUUG should merge with Linux Australia.  I think it's pretty clear
>    that Linux Australia is conceptually the successor organization.
>    The problem I have (and that LA shares) is that there's no place
>    there for users of proprietary UNIX.
>  - Donate all the funds to the John Lions chair of computer science
>    at UNSW.

Other possibilities SAGE-AU or OSIA - My pref would probably be a 50/50
split Linux Australia and OSIA.

--
Grant Parnell - senior LPIC-1 certified consultant

ELX or its employees participate in the following:-
OSIA (Open Source Industry Australia) - http://www.osia.net.au
AUUG (Australian Unix Users Group) - http://www.auug.org.au
SLUG (Sydney Linux Users Group) - http://www.slug.org.au
LA (Linux Australia) - http://www.linux.org.au