[AUUG-Talk]: Re: AUUG: Time to pull the plug?

Greg Black gjb at gbch.net
Thu Sep 14 12:24:00 EST 2006

On 2006-09-14, Greg 'groggy' Lehey wrote:

> In fact, there are a whole lot of things I haven't seen:
>
> - My membership renewal, due at the end of June.

Mine was due then too, but I have not received a renewal notice
and am, therefore, not a current member (for the first time in
at least 15 years).

> - Anybody complaining on the mailing lists.  Does anybody care?

Well yes, I care, but life has been filled with family dramas in
the past few months and worrying about AUUG has not been a high
enough priority.

I would hate to see AUUG die, although its value to me (and my
value to AUUG) has been declining over the years.

> From what I can see from my vantage point, the conference is a
> non-starter.  Last week the board could have possibly cancelled the
> event without owing the hotel too much money.  That's one of the
> things I suggested in the message.  Maybe it has happened; but one way
> or another, we need to know what is going on.

Agreed, we certainly need to know what's happening.

> So, finally, my agenda item: I think that it's time to disband AUUG.
> Am I the only one?

I would vote against disbanding AUUG, except that I don't think
I'm eligible to vote and right now I'd be reluctant to toss away
$125 just to get a vote in an organisation that might be on the
verge of being wound up :(

I'm not ready to talk about what we should do with the corpse
until we know whether we can keep AUUG going.  If we can't keep
it alive, then might be the time to decide on the disposition of
remaining assets.

Another Greg