[AUUG-Talk]: Re: AUUG: Time to pull the plug?

Norberto Meijome numard at meijome.net
Thu Sep 14 12:42:18 EST 2006

On Thu, 14 Sep 2006 11:22:42 +0930
Greg 'groggy' Lehey <Greg.Lehey at auug.org.au> wrote:

> In four weeks' time, the AUUG 2006 conference should be in full swing.
> Traditionally the AGM is held on the Thursday of the conference, four
> weeks from today.  According to Paragraph 15 of the constitution
> (http://www.auug.org.au/info/constitution.html), the Secretary should
> send written notice of such a meeting at least four weeks ahead of
> time, i.e. today.
>
> I have an agenda item, but I haven't seen notice of the meeting.
>
> In fact, there are a whole lot of things I haven't seen:
>
> - My membership renewal, due at the end of June.  I have agreed to
>   automatic renewal, so all the treasurer needs to do is to deduct the
>   sum from my credit card.  If my membership hasn't been renewed,
>   whose has?

Not here. I was just wondering what happened with that...

> - The final programme.  Typically this should be sent out as a flyer
>   registration forms months in advance.

indeed.

> - Anybody complaining on the mailing lists.  Does anybody care?

> So, finally, my agenda item: I think that it's time to disband AUUG.
> Am I the only one?
>

> My questions at the moment:
>
> - Do enough members think that it's time to dissolve AUUG?
> - How many members do we have?
> - How do we know who the members are?  At this stage, I'd say that the
>   only proof is a receipt for payment of membership fees.
> - If we dissolve AUUG, what do we do with the funds?  I can see a
>   number of possibilities:
>   - AUUG should merge with Linux Australia.  I think it's pretty clear
>     that Linux Australia is conceptually the successor organization.
>     The problem I have (and that LA shares) is that there's no place
>     there for users of proprietary UNIX.

and BSD OS. I for one don't particularly care too much for Linux...which is why
I never approached linux AU...but if it comes to the point where is the only
major group working on Open source unix-like OS, then I (and possibly some
others) will have to.

>   - Donate all the funds to the John Lions chair of computer science
>     at UNSW.

np w/this -  hopefully there will be some other suggestions too.

Thanks for bringing this up Greg.
{Beto|Norberto|Numard} Meijome

"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will
deserve neither and lose both." Benjamin Franklin

Warned.