[AUUG-Talk]: Patch mgmt approaches?

Stuart Remphrey stuart.remphrey at rmit.edu.au
Wed Oct 18 16:30:45 EST 2006

Hi David,

Hmm, haven't tried the Sun N1 stuff yet, might be worth a look.

We've used the earlier Sun CST stuff a bit * pretty web GUI,
and we could query from a script, but only for [any rev|a specific rev]
of a requested pkg/patch, not "what's the latest rev of this patch".
Still installed, summarises install/change dates etc, but we don't
use it much (in fact I'd forgotten about it).

We've not had any problem with Sun patches for quite a while,
apart from a few systems affected by the SSH patch debacle
(holding off on the rest at the moment). I definitely relate to
the problem getting access and/or being able to change
corporate dev or prod systems! Some we need a fortnight's
notice to reboot (unless it's urgent, like already down).

There have been a couple of cases where we've had downtime
due to a SAN driver bug for which there has been a patch
already available, but hadn't gotten far enough through
the process to get it onto the affected systems in time :-(

Gradually moving from "if it hasn't broke don't fix it" closer to
"just because we haven't hit this known bug/patch yet doesn't
mean we won't".

Rgds, Stuart.