[AUUG-Talk]: Personal Contributions - AUUG's Value Add

David J N Begley d.begley at auug.org.au
Thu Oct 5 00:41:13 EST 2006

Quoting Janet Hawtin <lucychili at gmail.com>:

> /me suspects there is chunky PhD potential in
> an ethnography of Davidness in AU IT sector.

It's an evil plot by Dogbert I tells ya...

All jokes aside, you're probably right - at work over the years there
have been quite a few Davids come and go in the IT department;  most
recently in my local office, another has just moved in (making things
really confusing for the other offices as we both have the same first
name and same surname initial).

Actually (quick survey of staff phone directory) - just over 6% of our
IT department (of around 148 people) are "Dave" (x1) or "David" (x8);
our nearest rivals are Peter, John and Darren (all on just over 2%
each) - unless you start mixing other variants (eg.,
Christopher/Chris/Christine), in which case it's Chris*, Peter and
Jeffrey/Geoffrey between 2.5% to 3.5%.

Then again, all the Davids I've known or seen in IT have tended to be
smart arses...  ;-)