[AUUG-Talk]: Personal Contributions - AUUG's Value Add

David Newall david.newall at auug.org.au
Tue Oct 3 01:16:35 EST 2006

Dave Horsfall wrote:

>>> Hopefully in reverse order of importance..
>>>
>> Not particularly.  I'm very self-reliant.  Web has pushed Books from first to
>> third place.  I thought it was a trick question (ie the answer was web) until
>> I saw the sample answers.
>>

> Well, that's an odd definition of "self-reliant", relying upon
> unsubstantiated sources etc.
>
> For my part, I use peer-reviewed sources such as books and mailing lists,
> with the web stuff coming a distant third.

I can see that you place great value on an academic process.  Your
phrase "unsubstantiated source" (to which I take objection) reveals this
as much as "peer-reviewed".  I don't think mailing lists are
particularly peer-reviewed; and in their absence the sense one is left
with, "I use peer-reviewed sources such as books", reinforces the
impression.

You listed two of the same three sources as me, books and web (but in
opposite order), differing only in that you ask others where I
experiment.  This, perhaps, will help you understand my exception to
"unsubstantiated source."