[AUUG-Talk]: Solaris 8 Inode Issue

Joel Sing joel at ionix.com.au
Fri Sep 2 00:39:16 EST 2005

Hi All,

One of our clients runs a SunFire V480 with Solaris 8. Around mid-July, the
nightly backup using ufsdump, started reporting the following warning during
the third pass:

WARNING: Directory at inode 1067924 vanished.

They are backing up a live filesystem, however I don't believe that it is the
cause of the problem since the inode number is always the same and it started
out of the blue. Neither ls nor find can locate anything using that inode -
my only thought is that a process may still hold a reference to it,
preventing it from being fully released by the kernel.

Anyone else seen this? Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

Cheers,

Joel
 Joel Sing (BComp(Hons))                          www.ionix.com.au

 System and Network Administrator, Software Developer and Director

 Ionix Technology Pty. Ltd.             Email  : joel at ionix.com.au
 PO Box 2468,                           Mobile : +61 0419 577 603
 Bendigo VIC 3554                       Office : +61 03 5441 1226