[AUUG-Talk]: Downloading and playing legal music

Chandana De Silva chandana at desilva.id.au
Mon Oct 24 17:52:04 EST 2005

On Mon, 2005-10-24 at 17:05 +0930, Daniel O'Connor wrote:

> I believe the artists are compensated via the RMIS.

If this is the case, I will be happy to buy from them. Are you sure ?.

> I don't see how this is possible.
> A DRM *IS* software. You can't make a DRM a data format only - you need the
> software to decrypt the audio.

See my explanation in the previous message and if that makes sense. I am
sure that many people looking at it can make it better.

> If you want to make media streams executables (a terribly bad idea for a lot
> of reasons) you could still emulate your way around it and save them to disk.
>
> > > Any open source OS will not prevent the owner of the machine from
> > > controlling what the machine does (which is the point). This is in direct
> > > conflict with a DRM which exists to limit what the owner of the machine
> > > can do..
> >
> > True. But that does not mean that you cannot have DRM using FOSS.
>
> Err? Please explain how.
> I don't see how it would be possible to have both an FOSS OS and be able to
> play tracks on it that would not be easy to copy.
>
> eg: Say I have some DRM player for Linux, it decrypts the audio and plays it
> to the sound card. It would be *trivial* to modify ALSA (or whatever) to
> record the audio to disk. In fact I believe ALSA can already do this.

Again see what I have to say in my earlier message. Also, this is just
one line of thought. I am sure that if the FOSS community put their
minds to it, many more, and better methods will come up.