[Talk] Is AUUG too pro open source?

Greg 'groggy' Lehey Greg.Lehey at auug.org.au
Mon Jan 19 18:50:18 EST 2004

On Monday, 19 January 2004 at 17:54:18 +1100, John Dalton wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've been happily lurking on this list for some time now, and I don't
> seem to have been booted off despite my unfinancial status as an AUUG
> member, so I figured I might pop up here (even if all I succeed in
> doing is reminding someone that the lists need cleaning).

Heh.  No, The list is in fact open to non-members.  Liz will just send
you a friendly reminder that it's a great idea to be an AUUG member :-)

> I haven't renewed my AUUG membership because I hadn't seen any real
> value in remaining a member.  The only thing that AUUG offered me that
> I couldn't get from SAGE-AU is AUUGN, and that had started being
> filled with reprints of articles available online instead of with new
> material.  (The standard response is no doubt that I should get off my
> behind and write some content if I had a problem with it, which is a
> reasonable suggestion but not really relevant).

Hmm.  This is an interesting comment.  Yes, there's lots of stuff off
the web in AUUGN.  I think that the value lies in having somebody else
(Con) search the web for you and show you stuff which (hopefully)
interests you.  I certainly appreciate it, and most comments I've
heard have also been positive.

> I am pro open source, although not rabidly so; an organisation of
> experienced professionals (as opposed to bright-eyed budding h at x0rz)
> with the aim of promoting open source alternatives and know-how *does*
> have relevance to me.
>
> I'm sure this can be done without alienating the AUUG members who are
> using commercial unix - after all, many of them will also be using
> applications such as Apache and Sendmail as well.  In my very limited
> experience with Solaris (the only commercial unix I've actually had
> anything to do with) most of the Solaris boxes I've seen have a bunch
> of GNU tools installed anyway.

Thanks.  You've done a good job of summing up my views.  FWIW, the
attendees I saw at last week's Linux.conf.au were by no means your
typical 31337 h at xorz.  I was quite impressed by the professional feel
of the conference.

Greg