[Talk] Is AUUG too pro open source?

Greg 'groggy' Lehey Greg.Lehey at auug.org.au
Mon Jan 19 12:10:47 EST 2004

I've just had a complaint from a member who thinks that AUUG is giving
users of proprietary UNIX a raw deal.  He thinks that we're placing
too much emphasis on open source, and that we're bashing Microsoft.

It's true that I personally don't have a very high opinion of
Microsoft, and we have made no secret of the fact that the Linux
community is a large part of our membership, so we need to cooperate
with the other Linux groups.  I mentioned this in my report at the
last annual conference.  I've also tried to make it clear that AUUG
remains a UNIX group, for all reasonable definitions of UNIX.  I'd be
interested if this member (who doesn't want to be named) is an
isolated case, or do other members who use proprietary UNIX feel that
we're giving them less than adequate attention?

Greg