[Talk] Chilling effect?

Leon Brooks leon at cyberknights.com.au
Wed Feb 25 15:17:20 EST 2004

On Tue, 24 Feb 2004 22:46, Enno Davids wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 24, 2004 at 10:21:41PM +0800, Leon Brooks wrote:
> |In my query to NAB, I asked why they had *no* fully auditable
> | browsers in their supported list.

> |They've taken an unusually long time to reply. I suspect that
> | they'll shrug and move along (Enno might have more insight), but
> | for some

> Think about these questions for instance. If they had an audited
> browser then they'd have to mandate its use.

Word change alert: I said auditABLE and you said auditED. I'm not asking
them to audit a browser, I'm asking them to support a browser that
customers can audit for themselves.

Could you have another whack at replying, with that in mind?

> And then you'd read Ken Thompson's ACM Turing award paper
> "Reflections on trusting trust" and realize you really need to audit
> the entire toolchain first.

Some organisations do just that. At least, some of the org's big enough
to be worth targeting with such an attack.

Cheers; Leon

http://plug.linux.org.au/       Vice President, Perth Linux User Group
http://slpwa.asn.au/            Committee Member, Linux Professionals WA
http://linux.org.au/            Past Committee Member, Linux Australia