[Talk] FreeBSD and Organisations

Matthew Gardiner coocoocachoonz at yahoo.co.uk
Fri Sep 12 20:57:38 EST 2003

Just a little background information, I have been using *NIX for around
8 years in total, 3 years using Linux, 5 using FreeBSD/Solaris and
around 1 1/2 with MacOS X.

I've just been reading over the past couple of weeks regarding these
so-called studies. First of all, how does one get in contact with these
people who produce these so-called "studies" because it is become
apparent to me that they're nothing more than 30 minutes worth of
rectum plucking based on pre-conceived notions regarding *BSD/*NIX. I
personally would like to hold these people to account based on the
half-baked "analysis" which quite frankly is equal to the quality one
would expect from a teenager.

Secondly, I would love to be able to hold these so-called CIO's to
account for their decision based on some sort of "loyalty" they
apparently think they should have to a multi-billion dollar
corporation. It is always funny to hear the typical, "if we move, we
have to re-train", it seems that these managers haven't heard of the
"learn it or join the dole queue" motivational technique.

Thirdly, I've been into ANZ and not one of the PC's at the front desk
have anything more than a web browser, Telnet session and a basic
office suite with a couple of templates and macros. The ANZ CIO can't
honestly turn around and proclaim that there is something missing so
there for they are forced to be a Microsoft sycophant.

Fourthly, why do many of these businesses expect instant gratification
within 1 year? how about LONG TERM, if businesses worried about the
LONG TERM, then maybe CEO's and CIO's wouldn't make such rash and
stupid decisions based on what is cool. Just look at Telstra's
multibillion dollar investment into Pacific Century Cyberworks only to
find that the share price falls through the floor. Where is the long
term planning?

Anyone else care to add to my list of gripes? ;-)

  Matthew Gardiner