Spam on AUUG mailing lists (was: [Talk] Commercial: Unix/Linux Hands-on Training)

Greg 'groggy' Lehey Greg.Lehey at auug.org.au
Fri Oct 3 13:42:46 EST 2003

On Friday,  3 October 2003 at 13:34:56 +1000, Nina Augoustis wrote:
> Thought some of you may be interested in one of the following relevant
> courses in your state -

Even if this is relevant to our membership, this is spam, and under
proposed legislation it would be subject to prosecution.  Please don't
do this again.  If you have legitimate offers which you think would
interest our membership, please contact Liz Carroll
<busmgr at auug.org.au> and we will arrange to let those members know who
might be interested.  If you're prepared to give AUUG members a
discount, you can be sure you'll get a significantly better uptake.

Talk subscribers: in the past, we used to send messages of this nature
to auug-announce.  That's arguably worse than sending it to talk,
since everybody gets it then.  We've had a few complaints, and we're
thinking of creating a separate list for this kind of announcement.
Does anybody have views on this?

Greg
NOTE: Due to the currently active Microsoft-based worms, I am limiting
all incoming mail to 131,072 bytes.  This is enough for normal mail,
but not for large attachments.  Please send these as URLs.