[Talk] Reviving the chapters (was: 'Associations Expo' at UNSW)

Greg 'groggy' Lehey Greg.Lehey at auug.org.au
Mon Nov 17 14:52:04 EST 2003

On Friday, 14 November 2003 at  0:33:11 +1030, David Lloyd wrote:

> [missing attribution to Steve Jenkin]
>
>> I helped organise an 'Associations Expo' at Uni of New South Wales
>> recently.  We believe it was the first such event held in at a
>> University in Australia.  VTR Consulting hold something similar in their
>> offices in Melbourne, yearly I think.
>>
>> The 'Expo' was to showcase I.T. professional bodies/associations & user
>> groups to the students in 'CSE' [Computer Science and Engineering] at
>> UNSW.  15 associations & 200+ students attended.
>
> The AUUG used to do this by itself but I don't think it was an
> "associations" event. Talk to grog [at] lemis.com.

Well, in this context it's Greg.Lehey at auug.org.au :-)

I'm not sure what you're referring to here.  Do you mean the stand we
had at "WiredUp" last year?  That certainly wasn't at a university,
and it most certainly wasn't by itself.

In August we had our first Chapter Council in years, and we agreed to
do more to make ourselves visible at universities.  My idea was to get
involved in the Uni orientation week activities round the country, but
Steve and friends preempted me in this matter.  Either event is an
excellent way to bring our light from under the bushel.  Judging by
the apparent success, I suppose there will be more association expos.
We (the individual chapter members) should plan a little more in
advance for the next one.  I'd also be interested in input about
whether something like an Installfest during the O-weeks would be a
good idea or not ("get them while they're young, before they get
seduced by the Dark Side).

Greg