[Talk] Novell the Red Knight...

David Keegel djk at boombox.cyber.com.au
Thu May 29 16:46:05 EST 2003

] >  CBS MarketWatch reports on Novell's challenge to SCO, and quotes SCO CEO
] >  Darl McBride as asserting that SCO owns the Unix copyrights.  "McBride
] >  added that unless more companies start licensing SCO's property, he may
] >  also sue Linus Torvalds, who is credited with inventing the Linux
] >  operating system, for patent infringement."
] >
] >  http://lwn.net/Articles/33976/
]
] Somewhere round here I have difficulties believing things.  Who's
] stupid?  Me?  The reporter?  McBride?  One of us must be.  I've seldom
] seen such stupidity.

I'm still not sure whether this SCO thing is a comedy or a tradegy.
Although reading SCO's "pay us money or the geek gets it" threat
it looks more and more like a joke.

    In any case, SCO's tactics look to some like an act of
    desperation. "SCO seems willing to play as hardball and
    as dirty as they can," says Gordon Haff, an analyst with
    IT research firm Illuminata. "My view is, they want to be
    bought. I don't see how they can continue in this business
    long term after this."
http://www.internetwk.com/breakingNews/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=10000145

Perhaps SCO will ultimately find that the joke is on them if
after their dirty FUD campaign, no reputable company wants to
tarnish their reputation through association by buying SCO.