[TALK] Proving fundamental Unix guarantees

Daniel O'Connor doconnor at gsoft.com.au
Mon Jun 30 15:13:19 EST 2003

On Monday 30 June 2003 14:23, Adam Donnison wrote:
> Wiser heads than mine may well contradict me here, however my
> understanding is as follows.  BSS contains initialised global
> variables, however this is done by the compiler, not the OS.
> Other memory, allocated on either the stack or the heap, is
> not initialised and may contain trash.

I think if you want to claim your OS is secure you need to scrub pages before
they get handed to processes..

By no means does this guarantee they'll be zero, but they certainly shouldn't
contain anything written by the process that had the page before you.

are so many of them to choose from."
  -- Andrew Tanenbaum
GPG Fingerprint - 9A8C 569F 685A D928 5140  AE4B 319B 41F4 5D17 FDD5