[Talk] Definition of irony...

Edwin Groothuis edwin at mavetju.org
Fri Jun 27 11:01:27 EST 2003

On Fri, Jun 27, 2003 at 10:36:16AM +1000, Con Zymaris wrote:
> Something to make you all smile on this Friday morning...
>
>    Gates: I'm a spam-fightin' man
>
>    Microsoft has made spam-fighting a top priority chairman Bill Gates
>    said in a bulk e-mail to 75,000 customers.

Bulk email is still not spam. Mailinglists (like these) are considered
bulkmail. Announcements from companies to customers are not spam,
as long as the recipients are opted-in to the announcement list.

Spam has a couple of characteristics, like not being opt-in and
unable to get opted-out :-)

    "Like almost everyone, I receive a lot of spam every day, much
    of it offering to help me get out of debt or get rich quick.
    It's ridiculous," Gates said in the e-mail, while thinking "I'm
    one of the richests persons on this planet, I don't need them!".

Edwin
--
Edwin Groothuis      |            Personal website: http://www.mavetju.org
edwin at mavetju.org    |    Weblog: http://www.mavetju.org/weblog/weblog.php