[Talk] SCO and ACCC

Greg 'groggy' Lehey Greg.Lehey at auug.org.au
Tue Jul 22 18:23:09 EST 2003

On Tuesday, 22 July 2003 at 16:14:05 +1000, Con Zymaris wrote:
> Just a note.
>
> I have filed a formal complaint with the Australian Competition and
> Consumer Commission, specifically asking the ACCC to investigate The
> SCO Group's activities in light of their unsubstantiated claims and
> their extortive legal threats for money against possibly hundreds of
> thousands of Australians.

Good on you!  I've been wondering what to do myself.  SCO has declared
their intention to leave alleged UNIX code in Linux and charge a
license for it.  Apart from the fact that lays them open to claims
that they deliberately planted the code there for that purpose, it
seems that they are now trying to force people to take code that they
don't want, without giving them the choice of removing it.  That must
be illegal.

AUUG members: should we as an organization take a similar stand?

> I see this as no different to any other Nigerian or Internet
> extortion scam.

Well, I can see a number of differences.

Greg