[Talk] SSL Certificates

Ben Elliston bje+dated+1045557494.50b0e6 at air.net.au
Thu Feb 13 19:38:10 EST 2003

On Thu, Feb 13, 2003 at 02:07:14PM +1030, Greg 'groggy' Lehey wrote:

> FWIW, this is one of the membership benefits that we have been
> talking about in the past.  I think the board is agreed that this is
> a good idea, but we haven't found anybody to address the details,
> notably the trust issues you mention.  There will be a board meeting
> next Saturday (22 February).  If some volunteer could come up with a
> concrete proposal by then, we could talk about implementing it
> pretty quickly.

A CA is not ideally useful unless their cert is installed in browsers
by default.  Sure, we could send the CA cert to AUUG members on a CD
by postal mail (probably good enough, IMHO), but this would only be
limited to trusting AUUG and other AUUG members.

The problem I see is that open source browser projects are only going
to be willing to include a handful of CA certs and if AUUG's only
serves a couple of hundred users in the antipodes, there will be
strong reluctance to include it.

Cheers, Ben