[Talk] Re: $1399USD per CPU for SCO's linux 'indemnity' license

Greg 'groggy' Lehey Greg.Lehey at auug.org.au
Wed Aug 6 14:39:13 EST 2003

On Wednesday,  6 August 2003 at 13:40:07 +0930, Matthew Geddes wrote:

> Jurisdiction's an interesting area. Have SCO actually taken any
> action in Australia?

Well, I've done a couple of phone calls and found:

1.  Kieran O'Shaughnessy (SCO) tells me that they're planning to offer
    this kind of license in Australia as well, and that we can expect
    an announcement next week.  He promised to keep me informed.  I
    told him that I thought it breached the Trades Practices Act, and
    he said that they're investigating that.

2.  Called up the ACCC and referred to my previous complaint.  I got
    on to the same bloke (Nick), who remembered a surprising number of
    details.  He tells me:

    - Their lawyers are investigating the case, including the FUD
      aspects, but they haven't come up with anything final yet.
    - As a result, the ACCC can't (yet) say whether any demand for
      payment should be paid or not.
    - On the other hand, they're *very* interested in hearing from
      anybody who gets any communication from SCO on the subject,
      particularly demands for payment.
    - They'd also like to hear from people who have paid money to SCO
      voluntarily.

It's definitely worth calling up the ACCC (1 300 302 502) and putting
in your own complaint.  It's a little unfair, possibly, but I'm sure
that the sheer number of complaints will hurry up their lawyers.

If there's any lawyer reading this and prepared to help us pro bono,
please contact me privately.

Greg