[Talk] Fwd: Re: [SUMMARY] Re: [SAGE-AU] Summaries

Steve Jenkin sjenkin at pcug.org.au
Fri Apr 11 12:10:13 EST 2003

Here is a piece I wrote for  SAGE-AU.
I think it has relevance to this group as well.  Any opinions??
sj

BTW: The SAGE-BoK is at http://ace.delos.com/taxongate
You have to register to look.  Rob is highly ethical & won't spam you.

Subject: Re: [SUMMARY] Re: [SAGE-AU] Summaries
Date: Fri, 11 Apr 2003 11:52:51 +1000
From: Steve Jenkin <sjenkin at pcug.org.au>
To: <sage-au at sage-au.org.au>

As an adjunct to this 'knowledge base', we could very quickly build a
comprehensive 'Professional Body of Practice and Knowledge' [I am aware of
Rob Kolstad/USENIX-SAGE work] by _each_ of writing a yearly paper:-

"What I learnt last year".

This topic can never go stale for learning professionals, is not a large time
investment and provides an impetus and  focus to sit down and reflect each
year.  And your published papers could prove a very valuable 'portfolio' for
getting raises, promotions or new jobs.  Over time you'd expect to see your
focus move from more task/technical matters to meta-issues like quality,
client management and attainment perfect service outcomes.

The raw papers could be collated & made available only to members and kept
strictly confidential - allowing vendors & companies to be named.

The 'best' papers in various catergories [student, novice, practitioner,
manager, website, ISP, vendor, ...] could be edited and printed in SAGE-AU
mag _and_ two or three of them presented at the yearly conference. [Implies
reviewers, panel and rules]

For a few thousand dollars, the whole lot could be given to a technical
writer/editor to turn into the 'yearly Body of Practice' - which _would_ be
readable.

Any comments??

On Fri, 11 Apr 2003 09:26, Andrew Hennell wrote:
> > One person thought it would be
> > good if summaries could be collated on the website to save trawling
> > through email archives.
>
> We're well advanced on a project to address that very thing.  The
> 'knowledge project', as it is tentatively named, will present detailed
> information from mailing lists, newsletters, conferences & other sources in
> a format that's easy to search, browse & use. Whilst list archives will
> remain, this new initiative will mostly replace their functionality.

<<SNIP>>

> Cheers,
> Andrew ;o)

> are made by individual members, and do not necessarily reflect SAGE-AU
> policy or position.  This article may not be reproduced or quoted beyond
> this forum without written permission of all contributing authors.  Further
> information can be found at http://www.sage-au.org.au/maillist.html

Steve Jenkin
PO Box 48, Kippax ACT 2615
(m) 0412 786 915