[Talk] Drawing tool help

kevind at esi.com.au kevind at esi.com.au
Mon Apr 7 13:15:01 EST 2003

On Mon, Apr 07, 2003 at 08:34:48AM +0800, Luigi wrote:
> What I am looking for is a drawing tool that I can write data out from
> to then process the properties of the objects in the drawing.

I would have thought that some sort of vector graphics was available.
Being involved with hardware design as well as software,
I've been known to use a circuit board or schematic capture package
to achieve the same result.

> The primary consideration is the out put and my ability to interface to
> that, then will come how good the tool itself is to use. There is no
> existing input data so that is no problem and I have not written any of
> the post processing yet so the tool can really be anything.

If one of the existing systems (such as gEDA) suits your needs,
by all means use it, but I don't know whether they produce a usable
file format for the data.
I've been Protel person for many years and the packages, particularly
the earlier PCB software, produces and reads a fairly straightforward
text format.  EasyTrax is now public domain, if you want a place to start.
The drawback is that they only run on Microsoft systems and even now
they have no plans to incorporate Unix into their product lines.

Kevin