[Talk] Re: Cheaper conferences Not in commercial hotels would help BSD.

Frank Crawford frank at crawford.emu.id.au
Mon Sep 23 17:03:58 EST 2002

On Mon, Sep 23, 2002 at 01:51:09PM +1000, David McDonald wrote:
> In relation to a comment by Frank Crawford:
>
> 	"Greg, as you know, a lot of the cost also goes into printing,
> 	especially of the proceedings, food, and international speakers.
> 	All of which are the same whatever the venue."
>
> As for the cost of providing the food - if I was attending a University
> conference and the University food facilities were made available to me (I'm
> not sure who would permit or deny this, so I don't know how feasible it
> might me), then I'd be very happy to use the University facilities. Surely
> if we were charged normal street prices, these costs should not be
> exorbitant.

David, my comments about food relate more specifically to the Conference
Dinner and various other receptions, not necessarily to the lunches.  Where
ever it is held it is still a big part of the cost.

In fact I was quiet pleased with how lunches were arranged at ANU.  We were
all given vouchers and let loose in the Uni Union.  From memory, the cost
to AUUG was less than for comparable lunches at commercial venues, and a
darn side more fun.  I tried to sample all the different venues in the
place. :-)

Frank