[Talk] Reality check...

Steve Jenkin sjenkin at pcug.org.au
Wed Sep 11 14:05:12 EST 2002

Greg,

Bad news - DONT drop DLT tapes!  They may bounce, but they dont work
anymore.
Cant tell you about LTO, but I wouldn't bet my company on it ;-)

A 3.5in drive in an enclosure is about the same volume as a DLT tape.
A 2.5in drive is definitely much smaller.

cheers
sj

Greg Black wrote:

> Steve Jenkin wrote [to far too many addresses, which I have
> trimmed]:
>
> | I had a thought & wanted a Reality Check on it.
> | It seems too obvious not to have been thought of before, so what's the
> | catch??
> |
> | IDEA:
> | The cost of DLT & LTO tape media is ~$3/Gb.
> | The cost of commodity IDE drives is ~$1-2/Gb.  IDE enclosures with
> | either Firewire or USB are cheap & readily available.
> |
> | Why aren't people moving away from tape media to removable IDE drives
> | [and treat them just the same way as tapes.  Normally kept on a shelf!]
> |
> | Fulfills 'Cheaper, faster, better'...
> |
> | What am I missing here??  Anyone heard of this being done?
>
> Tapes bounce when dropped, disks don't.  Tapes fit easily in a
> pocket, disks don't.
>
> Greg

--------
Steve Jenkin, Unix Sys Admin