[Talk] AUUG'S Declining Membership

Greg Rose ggr at qualcomm.com
Fri Jul 26 17:37:18 EST 2002

As one of the people who remember a time when AUUG *didn't* have a business
manager, trust me... Liz is probably worth more than the cents we pay her,
and is probably the glue that's holding the group together.

The problems facing AUUG are serious, and I don't know how to solve them.
But slashing expenses can only go so far, and I think AUUG is about as bare
bones as it can be.

USENIX has somewhat transmogrified itself into a much bigger and more
diverse organisation, incorporating SAGE, security, the free Unix movement,
and other stuff. Except for them, AUUG is the last remaining "large" UUG;
the others that are still going, like NLUUG, are smaller than most of our
regionals! Their life is easier, with more concentrated populations.

Dunno what to suggest, except that it's a hard problem.

Greg.

Greg Rose                                       INTERNET: ggr at qualcomm.com
Qualcomm Australia          VOICE:  +61-2-9817 4188   FAX: +61-2-9817 5199
Level 3, 230 Victoria Road,                http://people.qualcomm.com/ggr/
Gladesville NSW 2111    232B EC8F 44C6 C853 D68F  E107 E6BF CD2F 1081 A37C