[Talk] AUUG'S Declining Membership

Steve Jenkin sjenkin at pcug.org.au
Thu Jul 25 17:07:03 EST 2002

In all the chat I didn't see anyone provide the facts of the Business
Manager employment contract.

1. Is Liz a permanent or casual employee?
2. What is noted in the annual accounts for the yearly cost of running
the office?
3. Are there employment incentives for her to increase our business?

SAGE-AU uses Lee Monette to run the place.
She works from home - [she provides the work space], and works at an
hourly rate.
Don't know if she gets a percentage of the annual conference.

Anyone care to volunteer any of these items? - providing they do not
breach any privacy or employment legislation or agreements.

sj

PS: thanks for a very good topic & well presented points.

David Purdue wrote:

> A quick reply from the outgoing President.
>
> david.newall at auug.org.au wrote:
>

> > How do we reverse declining membership?
>
> A good question, but none of the points below actually address
> it.
>
> >  o Mailing lists should be available to everybody
>
> They are; well, certainly the ones that are well used
> (auug-announce, talk, auug-jobs) are open to everybody.
>
> >  o Conference CFPs sent to all Asia Pacific universities
>
> We currently send it to all Australian unis.  Send the contact
> details for any others you want to add to Liz and she will add
> them to the mailing list.
>
> >  o AUUGN on web, not on paper
>
> I, for one, would not read AUUGN on the web.  I only get a
> chance to read AUUGN when I am not in front of a computer
> (on an airplane, in my lounge room, in bed, etc.)  I would rather
> have a well bound paper copy than a sheaf of loose paper that
> I had printed off the web.
>
> >  o Exec to meet electronically
>
> Tried it, it is not nearly as effective.
>
> >  o Can we afford a business manager?
>
> I contend that we can not afford to NOT have a business manager.
> It is hard enough to find volunteers for the things that Liz can
> not do - harder still to get them to do the things they volunteered
> for.  If we did not have Liz, I believe they would end up not
> being done.  Our alternative is to hire a secretariate - but we
> lose control, then we lose quality, then we lose members.
>
> DavidP

--------
Steve Jenkin, Unix Sys Admin
PO Box 48, Kippax, ACT 2615