[Talk] AUUG'S Declining Membership

Enno Davids nconedd at logos.national.com.au
Wed Jul 24 18:25:23 EST 2002

On Wed, Jul 24, 2002 at 02:39:42PM +0930, david.newall at auug.org.au wrote:
|The recent discussion on AUUG and LUGs prompted me to write this:
|
|SUMMARY
|
|How do we reverse declining membership?
|
| o Mailing lists should be available to everybody
| o Conference CFPs sent to all Asia Pacific universities
| o AUUGN on web, not on paper
| o Exec to meet electronically
| o Can we afford a business manager?

Both good and bad ideas here but at the risk of stating the obvious, AUUG's
membership numbers are declining because...

	"there's absolutely no effort at recruiting new members".

Its not my intent to start a flame war by saying that but I've involved at
the Victorian level for some years now and as a result have seen both my
local and the national executive up close and its also been discussed at
various AGMs and the like, but fundamentally there has been no serious,
sustained and targetted attempt to reach the people who should be our
constituents and make them aware of what we offer and why they should join.
(To be fair some already know us and need to be reminded why we represent
value and some need to have false past impressions refreshed with who and
what we are now.)

Until AUUG undertakes this serious recruitment and sustains it, it will
remain what it is now; largely a group of people who joined through chance
and hung on.

Enno.

(FWIW, this all sounds harsher than its intended to be, but I stand by the
sentiments...)