[Talk] State of dynamic linking in various platforms...

Greg Black gjb at gbch.net
Thu Aug 22 16:21:50 EST 2002

Luke Mewburn wrote:

| On Thu, Aug 22, 2002 at 02:40:27PM +1000, Greg Black wrote:
|   | In [FreeBSD] 4.x and 5.x /bin/rmail is dynamically linked and the rest of
|   | /bin is static.  In 5.x /sbin/mount_smbfs is dynamically linked
|   | and the rest of /sbin is static.
|
| Are you sure that /bin/rmail isn't just a symlink to /usr/libexec/rmail
| (for compatibility purposes)?  It's that way on NetBSD...

Yes, I'm quite sure -- file(1) distinguishes between symlinks
and executables (on FreeBSD, anyway).  ANd I just checked a
FreeBSD-4.6 box and it also has /bin/rmail dynamically linked.

| /sbin/mount_smbfs is probably an oversight :)

Perhaps.  I note that it's also dynamically linked on a 4.6 box,
although that's not the case on my other 4.x boxes (where x is
between 1 and 4).

Greg