[Talk] State of dynamic linking in various platforms...

Greg Black gjb at gbch.net
Thu Aug 22 14:40:27 EST 2002

Luke Mewburn wrote:

| 	NetBSD
| 		Statically linked /bin and /sbin. Rest dynamically linked
| 		against /usr/lib (with the linker in /usr/libexec/ld.elf_so).
|
| 	FreeBSD
| 		Similar to NetBSD ???

FreeBSD varies a bit from release to release and -current is not
the same as the -release systems (and my -current is now a few
months old, but probably relevant here).

In 4.x and 5.x /bin/rmail is dynamically linked and the rest of
/bin is static.  In 5.x /sbin/mount_smbfs is dynamically linked
and the rest of /sbin is static.

I must say that I'd prefer to see all of /bin and /sbin remain
statically linked, but i don't think I have any new reasons for
that.

Greg