[Talk] Combatting spam (was: (no subject))

Greg 'groggy' Lehey Greg.Lehey at auug.org.au
Thu Aug 15 12:35:38 EST 2002

On Thursday, 15 August 2002 at 12:29:13 +1000, Adrian Close wrote:
> On Thu, 15 Aug 2002, Greg 'groggy' Lehey wrote:
>
>> It's also interesting to note that this message camed from
>> verestar.net.  I have already noticed that there's a lot of spam
>
> I think it's even more interesting to note that an intermediate step was:

> Does this mean that machine is an "open relay"?  Perhaps we can lend a
> hand to our sister organisation...

No, this used to be the AUUG machine, and it's set up specifically to
accept mail for auug.org.au.

> I got quite a number of copies of this spam (Allah be praised!).
> Interestingly, some of them came to me direct from 'verestar', but
> most appeared to have been relayed via 'supreme.pcug.org.au'.

It would be interesting to see why it went there.  Maybe the memory of
the spam source.  We should investigate getting supreme to no longer
accept mail for AUUG.

I've just grepped for mail from verestar.net in my entire 1.2 GB of
saved mail.  The only messages were spam, so I've added verestar to my
private mail block list.  See http://www.lemis.com/lemismail.html for
more details.  What do people think of doing something similar for
AUUG?

Greg