[sa-auug] What do members want out of AUUG?

Benjamin Close cisbjc at cs.unisa.edu.au
Wed Jan 5 12:21:46 EST 2005

Hi Brian,
    I must agree AUUG doesn't seem to have a lot to offer the
individual. I'm facing the same question myself. Some of the things I
personally would like to see AUUG do is:

    o Run monthly meetings where there is interesting talks, perhaps
      with subsidised food costs.
    o Since AUUG have a online server:
          o Provide secondary DNS for domains
          o Provide secondary MX for domains
          o Provide perhaps a shell account for remote backups
    o Have a montly newsletter to complement auugn about what's new,
nothing big
      just a double sided A4 page.
    o Keep AUUGN on paper. Sure it's more cost affective put it on CD but
      one of the things I like about AUUG is that they have hard copy
      publications. I like reading about computers but every now and again
      it's nice to 'unplug' and read a paper version
    o Reduced membership fees. $150 is quite steep for what you get
    o Social meetings - perhaps even a lan or too

These things would make AUUG much more attractive to me.
I can't make many of the conferences as I'm an individual who just can't
afford the flight / accomodation / entry fee cost.

Cheers,
    Benjamin

--
3D Research Associate / System Administrator     +61 8 8302 3669
School of Computer and Information Science       Room D1-07, ML Campus