First electronic member services go into operation

Greg 'groggy' Lehey Greg.Lehey at auug.org.au
Tue Aug 13 10:45:26 EST 2002

A year ago, we announced a number of planned electronic member
services, including Email, DNS and member access to the membership
data base.  Behind the scenes, things have gradually been happening,
and we're now in a position to announce two of these services:

1.  Email

    AUUG members are entitled to an Email forwarding address
    <yournamehere>@auug.org.au.  This is a forwarding address only:
    currently we are not in a position to allow shell or POP access to
    the system.  If you're interested in this, please contact
    postmaster at auug.org.au with the following information:

       - Your name
       - Your membership number
       - Contact telephone number
       - Your choice of mail ID (<yournamehere>).  The choice is
         subject to approval, though we won't enforce any unreasonable
         restrictions.
       - The mail account to which the mail should be forwarded.

2.  DNS

    AUUG will offer a secondary DNS for members' domains.  If you're
    interested in this, please contact hostmaster at auug.org.au with the
    following information:

       - Your name
       - Your membership number
       - Contact telephone number
       - The name of the zone
       - The name server address from which the domain should be
         loaded.

    Please ensure that the master name server is set up and will allow
    zone transfers to our server (current IP address 150.101.248.57).
    To list our server as a name server for your domain, please use
    the name ns.auug.org.au.  In your own interest, you should confirm
    that the zone has been loaded before adding the NS record.

The current AUUG machine is relatively small, so it's possible that
we'll see overload situations.  We're planning to expand the machine,
but if we find the load getting too much, we may have to stop
accepting further applications until we can handle the load.  Please
note also that this offer is for members' personal use; the bandwidth
on the server is limited, so we can't accept very large mail volumes.
We don't intend to place a hard limit on traffic at this stage, but if
it becomes necessary we may need to do so in the future.

Greg Lehey
President, AUUG Inc.