[Talk] A template for monthly meetings/talks. COMMENTS PLEASE

Greg Black gjb at auug.org.au
Mon Jan 19 18:23:43 EST 2004

On 2004-01-19, Steve Jenkin wrote:

> Time to put up or shut-up.  [...]
> How about YOUR proposal for something that can implemented.

In my original post, I said it would be obvious from what
followed why I had not responded the first time around.
Apparently it was not obvious enough.  I did make some general
suggestions about the kind of focus I thought AUUG should have
(open blah blah); but I did not have any specific proposals to
make, which was why I did not reply to the original message.

However, when Steve send his second message which seemed to be
puzzled about the lack of response, I thought it might be useful
to explain why I, for one, had not responded.  I did not think
much of his proposal, but I did not have a real alternative.

> Easy to criticise, easy to be offensive, try adding to the community.

If you plan to play in public, you need to be able to stand the
heat.  If you have a thin skin, keep it in the dark.

In terms of adding to the community, I have done things for the
AUUG community over the years.  And I would have done more than
I have if the AUUG committee was better at taking up offers of
contributions from the membership.  But that's not really a
topic for today or this list.

> Who will change to suit others' requirements

Excellent.  But you still need to learn about mailing list
stuff.  I recommend a read of Greg Lehey's web site for some
excellent hints.

Cheers, Greg