[Talk] Web Browser Exclusion

Adam Donnison adam at saki.com.au
Mon Dec 9 14:18:04 EST 2002

Greg 'groggy' Lehey wrote:
> I was going to say "not much", and quote
> http://www.winejobsaustralia.com.au/ as a particularly bad example of
> a web site which refused anything except real IE (it even refused
> Opera masquerading as IE).  But then I went back and checked, and it
> now seems to support all browsers.  I *did* send them mail telling
> them what I thought of the previous situation, but I have no evidence
> that it was my message that made the web designer See The Light.

This site still refuses to allow non IE browsers unless you bypass
the default page and go instead to the /home.htm page. Since most
users are unlikely to figure this one out for themselves it is
still a closed shop.

> Still, there are still too many broken web sites out there.  Should
> AUUG take some active position on the matter?

I think that more pressure would be better, perhaps AUUG could
sponser a petition. Get enough signatures and maybe they may listen.

Adam
Adam Donnison                                  email: adam at saki.com.au
Saki Computer Services Pty. Ltd.
93 Kallista-Emerald Road                        phone: +61 3 9752 1512
THE PATCH  VIC 3792    AUSTRALIA                fax:   +61 3 9752 1098